I'm the guy you take to work with you every day, the Prime Minister of Twang Clay JD Walker! Catch me on The Wolf weekdays from 10-3, and check my blog often for my random musings about stuff going on!
9 Things You Need to Stop Worrying About NOW!
by Clay JD Walker,posted Oct 27 2011 8:56AM
It's true, cut the worry out of your life, and you'll quickly find that it's indeed much more enjoyable. Take the following 9 out of your mind now, and watch the affect!
1. Drink eight glasses of water a dayThe Truth: Water's great, but you can also drink juice, tea, milk, fruits, and vegetables. Even coffee quenches thirst. The caffeine makes you lose some liquid, but you're still getting plenty.
2. Stress will turn your hair grayThe Truth: Too much stress does age us inside and out. But there hasn't been any scientific evidence that a bad day turns your hair silver.
3. Reading in poor light ruins your eyes
The Truth: Reading in dim light can strain your eyes. You squint and that can give you a headache. But you won't do any permanent damage except maybe cause crow's-feet. A good night's rest will help your eyes recover just fine.
4. Coffee's really bad for youThe Truth: Too much cam give you the jitters, but it has a lot of positives. Coffee has antioxidants and gives your brain a boost, too. Coffee also doesn't have any effect on heart disease.
5. Feed a cold, starve a feverThe Truth: Colds and fevers are caused by viruses that last seven to 10 days, no matter what you do. And there is no evidence that diet has any effect on a cold or fever. Even if you don't feel like eating, you still need fluids, so put a priority on those. If you're congested, the fluids will keep mucus thinner and help loosen chest and nasal congestion.
6. Fresh is always better than frozenThe Truth: Frozen can be just as good as fresh because the fruits and vegetables are harvested at the peak of their nutritional content, taken to a plant and frozen on the spot. Unless it's picked and sold the same day, produce at farmers' markets could lose nutrients because of heat, air, and water.
7. Eggs raise your cholesterol The Truth: Newer studies have found that saturated and trans fats in a person's diet, not dietary cholesterol, are more likely to raise heart disease risk.
8. Get cold, and you'll catch a cold The Truth: Mom was wrong. Chilling doesn't hurt your immunity unless you're so cold that your body defenses are destroyed and that only happens during hypothermia. And you can't get a cold unless you're exposed to a virus that causes a cold. The reason people get more colds in the winter isn't because of the temperature, but as a result of being cooped up in closed spaces and exposed to cold viruses.
9. Your lipstick could make you sickThe Truth: The reality is that lead is in almost everything. It's all around us. But the risk from lead in lipstick is really small. In fact, lead poisoning is most commonly caused by other factors like pipes and paint in older homes.